Saturday 9 January 2010

Mine's A Stella


Blimey, feels like ages since I've done any "proper" comic art but I've done a few bits today. The cover to the upcoming Pjang #4 will be a celeb mag parody and so I've drawn a few elements and illos, which Mr David Metcalfe esq will (using his graphic design experience) combine into a blurb-laden final cover. Above is the central image, based on Chris Askham's strip for the issue, a great look at something that almost all relationships have to deal with (well, to a point...you'll see when you read "Stella"!)

This was drawn on A4 but doesn't take the whole page and I'm relatively happy with it...I used my Copis markers to grayshade the pic before adding pretty flat colours in Photoshop, but my second grey tone marker ran out, making it harder for me to get a satisfying blend or gradation effect. Still, when coloured, it's not too bad hopefully...
Hmm, seem to have probs opening the top pic, despite reattaching it: here's a link to it on Facebook instead: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96430&id=522921153&saved#/photo.php?pid=5053798&id=522921153

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Verrry nice. You're getting good with them Copics. looking forward to seeing what Davey does to it ;)

Victor Resistor said...

Hi Nigel,

Are you the same Nigel of Silver and Horus lord of light fame?

Nige Lowrey said...

Uh, yeah I am...blimey, Horus, that never even saw print anywhere did it? How'd you know about that?

Victor Resistor said...

I was the one who was going to draw it. Rik would only let me see the first part though and then stopped talking to me!

Nice to find you on the net. i got in touch with you about 8 years ago and wanted to do a comic with you.

I don't get much chance to draw these days (my last drawing was 2008! But your stuff is looking really ace! And I still want to do an anthology bringing together the 90's small pressers: Lowry; rik hoskin; Ralph horsley; chris webster; dave morris; lee (the bloke who did mondo) . . .hmmm i'm forgetting them all now . . .who wrote threter of conceits? .. . . Richard something . . . .



I still have the script and character designs for Horus in a box somewhere . . .

Nige Lowrey said...

Davey's done a great job cobbling together all my random elements and blurb. I'm getting ok with the Copics and quite liked this pic...until I posted it and then immediately thought it looked rubbishy. It looks much better on the final cover...

I moved home coming up to 2 years ago and unearthed the old Horus material, dunno if I kept it or not in the move...
Theatre of Conceits was written by Dan Powell, who's around but a bit reclusive...last i heard, Rik was writing for UK Disney or Barbie comics...