Saturday 7 May 2011

Nother Update







Just a quick random roundup:

Only just realised launchpad is around the corner so have dug out the portfolio to spruce it up as I never got to show it at BICS last year. Doubt I'll have time to do any sequential stuff before then as I have alot going on but have pencilled a few pieces I hope to ink on holiday, preview above...

Also did my first Silver John head pic...not quite right as it looks a bit Indiana Jones but this is essentially my version...

Been watching Being Human Season Two, which is again pretty damn good but disappointed by the fact that Nathan won't be in Misfits series 3: he was the crux of the show and its funniest character. I loved the Middleman graphic novels so took a chance and picked up the DVD box set of the first and only season of the TV version. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I can't put my finger on exactly which quality is missing from the show: dramatic tension, any kind of budget or decent actors probably. It's a shame as the scripts are fun and witty and the Middleman himself is perfectly cast and is actually pretty good...but it's a chore sitting through these so might take me a while to finish this...

Finally started reading the first Rip Kirby collection, which is surprisingly easy to read but difficult to hold due to its colossal size (which bodes poorly for Secret Agent Corrigan volumes I have yet to start!). I found even though I have a nostalgic attachment to Alex Raymond's earlier creation Flash Gordon (see above illo), I found Kirby easier to read.

While babysitting today, I managed to read the entire first volume of Mary Perkins On Stage. I bought this as I loved the art: the seemingly effortless technical ability, character acting and level of clear details is mind blowing and it's a shame we no longer see this kind of solid drawing as style currently wins out. What surprised me was that the story also dragged me right in: a soap opera about a struggling actress should never have been so engaging but no wonder it ran for 20 years. May buy more when I clear my backlog of comic collection reading...

No comments: